DIY: Birth Affirmation Flags
An affirmation is the process of giving support or encouragement through words. I have observed that it is especially helpful during the time before birth to find some affirmations that speak to you. Affirmations that help you to feel empowered about your birth, your birthing choices, and your parenting in the early days.
Creating a positive atmosphere for giving birth, or laboring in prior to going to the hospital helps to set intentions. While you may or may not spend time looking at your affirmations while you are in labor (many moms labor with their eyes closed) you will get the opportunity to look at them and enjoy them while you are pregnant.
Homemade birth flags are a great addition to the birth space. You get to choose the affirmations, the fabric, and the colors.
What you will need
- Fabric - the kind that can handle twine, I used osonaburg scraps from a wrap I made
- Markers - you can use fabric markers or paint markers if you think you will wash them
- A thick needle
- Twine or string
- Affirmations you like
How to make them
It's super easy, I promise.
- Cut your fabric to the desired size. I made mine fairly small due to the odd shapes of fabric I had.
- Draw on your fabric, or write your affirmations that you want.
- Cut a long piece of twine long enough for all of your flags and then some. Thread it through your large needle and sew it through. If your fabric doesn't have a lot of give, you may need a thimble.
- Pin them in a space you feel they would be most visible during your pregnancy and birthing time.
Here are some birth affirmations I love.
- Birth is safe for me and my baby.
- My body was made to do this, my body is doing this.
- I am relaxed and calm.
- My mind quiets, my body opens.
- Each surge brings my baby closer to me.
- My body knows how to have this baby, just as my body knew how to grow this baby.